After going 9-7 last season and losing to Appalachian State in the first round of the Mid-American Conference (MAC) tournament, Longwood field hockey set out to take the next step in the 2019 season.
Heading into last Friday’s matchup with the Vermont Catamounts, Longwood field hockey had won three consecutive games, not giving up a single goal in that span.
At the start of every season, no matter the sport, teams endure inevitable bumps and kinks in the early stages. For Longwood field hockey and head coach Iain Byers, they are no stranger to these bumps.
To close what was arguably one of the most successful seasons in program history, the Longwood field hockey team fell just short in Kent, Ohio on Friday during the crucial Mid-American Conference (MAC) semifinal game against Kent State, losing 4-2.
Although she's a defender, senior captain Lil-Sophie “Lili” Achterwinter is considered a major reason why Longwood field hockey is off to one of their best starts in school history, heading into conference play with a record of 6-1.
Most Popular Reads
- Transgender folks aren’t scary
- ARC Residence Hall closed due to maintenance, lower enrollment
- 'They're sleeping on Longwood'
- In SGA: Disability resources, IFC deferred recruitment
- A building block into a higher education
- Alpha Sigma Tau Swings Through Halloween
- SFC Report: Longwood Gaming Club requests funds
- Spirits high for women's basketball as season opener nears
- The Reel Life: "Harriet"
- Why naming the white supremacist group matters